Monday, June 8, 2009

The Reality of Things

Class has been great so far this summer term. I think everyone has got something in mind for the documented argument and if they don't already have an idea of what they want to argue, nearly everyone has an idea of what they want to argue about. I'm really glad some people have decided to do something they can relate to...the yoga papers that Marcus and Shelby are writing, for example, will not just help fulfill the requirements of the class--they'll also connect to their possible majors and careers and the research will also be useful to them as they work toward their degrees.

Something I really like about our class is the ability for students to cut through the bullshit and talk honestly about their writing. Everyone seems to acknowledge the difficulty with procrastination (some have even called it an art), the word requirements, and finding sources. Bobby's reminder that the word requirement means that I'll get a lot more "it is" than I will "it's" in everyone's writing. I like knowing such things and I don't think anyone is "cheating"...I think it's pretty smart. Something we'll work on this term is cutting through unnecessary wordiness. It's one thing to not contract words to meet a word requirement...it's another thing to use twenty words to say the same thing you might be able to say with one or two.

Tomorrow is our library visit at the library and I'm currently grading research blogs from last week. It's really interesting reading about the very different writing backgrounds in the class and I hope the class (and I) can accommodate all these different backgrounds and help everyone become a better writer.

No comments: